Monday, March 23, 2009

24 Mar 09

Happy Birthday Pene! Today I turn the big 40! Anyway, I received a cool leather jacket from my waihine (partner) which looks similar to the one on the movie the Matrix, worn by Neo.

I re-edited the documentary 'snippets' for Creative NZ. I have applied for $10,000 to complete the doco, although what my chances are, who knows. Still, I am going to keep reapplying to them.

I have finished Te Whakapouri. I have turned it into a short film instead (8 pgs, but once it is translated into te reo Maori, it will be about 12 pgs). I just lost motivation and interest to keep writing the feature length script. So, I have decided to just make the short movie instead. It is a real 'weird' religious script now. Definitely unconventional! So I am going to focus on the storyboard, shot log, budget etc. I will be shooting that short once I raise the funding to do so. Perhaps, if the short is a success, I may decide to re-commit to writing a feature length version of Te Whakapouri. Perhaps not. Some may see my decision as a lack of determination. I do not. There is a time and a place for every purpose under the sun, and as a result of all my time and effort, I learnt a lot about what to do next for a feature length script, especially one that is designed to be made independently. Each scene needs to be written, so that I take into account the logistics of the scene (location, number of actors etc), without compromising the creativity of the script.

I have studied numerous books on film-making, done a number of courses, made some creative films, docos etc. None of these have been financially successful, or won accolades etc. But, by persisting in what I am doing, I am becoming more skilled. I intend to be the best film director that I can.

Happy Birthday Pene!

No comments: